Top 10 Vintage China Patterns

I’m happy to be sharing with you today my Top 10 Vintage China Patterns.  I’ve been collecting for years and out of the many thousands of patterns out there, these are truly my favorites!

1. Leighton Spray by Coalport

2. Napoleon Ivy by Wedgwood

3. Strathmore Blue by Mason

4. Blue Pheasants by Mason

5. Pattern BDT 13 by Bernadotte

6. Calico Pink/Blue Plaid by Metlox/Poppytrail/Vernon

7. Charlotte by Royal Worcester

8. Old English Countryside in Blue and Pink by Johnson Brothers

9. English Chippendale in Red by Johnson Brothers

10. Winchester in Pink by Johnson Brothers

If you’re not a collector, I hope these images inspire you to start a collection of your own.  Collecting vintage china is such a thrill for me.  You can scout antique stores and flea markets for patterns that interest you.  And in this modern age, online sources such as Replacements make collecting easier than ever!  Start your collected tabletop today!

This entry was posted in Kathryn’s Top Ten and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Top 10 Vintage China Patterns

1. Linda Parris says:

Hi Kathy, dont know if you even remember me or not (the Nash’s former housekeeper). I went to your site to get a name for a design element (usually on the lower wall. under the chair rail, it is mostly used in traditional design. It is box shaped or with inward indention on each corner?? I am trying to find what you actually call that application.) In visiting your site, I believe, in your portfolio, I saw the new living room that you did for the Nash’s . The only way I knew it was theirs, was the support columns, the big window and the mantle and fireplace, otherwise I would never have recognized it! Looks really nice. As for china..I love your flow blue you have at your home. I have a blue and white collection that I love! Hope you are doing well. Regards, Linda

2. Kathy McLennan says:

Thrilled about your post. I have always considered myself to have “the dish gene”…and have collected for years. Love that you USE and promote lovely dishes. Very fun for someone like me to check in with an informed collector on ways to use one’s dishes and enjoy them.

3. Cherry Chick says:

How interesting. I have a set of the Winchester Pink by Johnson Bros. that belonged to my grandmother. I’ve always loved it because it has the pink tones but now I’m pleased to know that it’s in your top 10. I found your blog via Pinterest.

4. Patty O'Neill says:

I enjoyed reading your top 10 patterns, and am wondering if you know anything about Coalport pattern “Kansu” 8707/F.

Thank you, Patty.

Patty,
    Sorry, but I do not know anything about that pattern. I have tried to research this pattern, but can’t find anything on it. If you send me a photo, I will keep looking.
    Kathryn

6. steve goruk says:

Hello, maybe you can help me. I have a dinnerware set that was given to me that belonged to my grandmother. Its made by Soveriegn Potters. It` s the: Rose of Tralee, pattern number: 1134-53
    I was wondering if they are worth anything? I am not a collector myself. Thank you for your time.

Steve,
    I would suggest that you contact Replacements, Ltd.. Their website will have their contact information. I am sorry, but I am just not familiar with the manufacturer or pattern.
    Kathryn

8. Jessica says:

I was given my grandmother’s old china and it is in fantastic condition. Unfortunately, I don’t know what it is other than it is a sage green background with white ivy around the rim. The bottom says Ironstone. I remember a story about her saving coupons for these dishes and I wanted more information on that. Do you have any idea?

I would need a photo to have any idea. I would be glad to look at a photo and see if I might be able to help you identify it!

I would need to see a photo and then I might possibly be able to help you identify the pattern!

11. Linda Jordan says:

Hi Kathryn, I am going crazy trying to find patterns or similar patterns of my many tea cups with saucers. I have from Trenthan fine bone china to Aynsley Bone china # 1216 to Rosina Bone China to Regency Bone China. Amazing-beautiful cup & saucer sets that i love but impossible to fine out anything about them. Replacement-nothing. What do you suggest please? Thank you.

Linda,
    I would just suggest that you “Google” the names of the companies and the patterns. I do a lot of china research in that manner. Wish I had a more helpful suggestion. I always try a variety of key words and put them in a different order of words, etc.
    Kathryn

13. Jeff Byron says:

Kathy,
    I discovered your site in search for information on Wedgewood Napoleon Ivy. I have a large collection from my grandmother. Can you suggest a source for information.
    Thanks.
    Jeff

Jeff,
    If you are seeking information on the value, cost, etc., you might want to look at http://www.replacements.com.
    Kathryn

15. Amy says:

Hi Kathryn, I recently started collecting pieces in the BDT13 pattern by Bernadotte and found your blog while looking for more information on the vintage pattern. Do you know when this pattern was produced? I know it was discontinued but would like to know how old it is. Many thanks!

Amy,
    The pattern is indeed discontinued and when I was doing the research for my book, I tried to find out more about the pattern, but sadly was unable to do so. Sorry that I can’t be more helpful.
    Kathryn