What’s Inspiring Kathryn? North Carolina’s Coasts and Lakes

I am so blessed to live in the great state of North Carolina. North Carolina is well-known for its beautiful coastline. It also boasts pristine lakes. I am so inspired by so many of the gorgeous coastal areas in my great state that I thought it might be fun to share a few favorites.

I adore the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse on the Outer Banks. Did you know it is the tallest brick lighthouse in the United States?? It is also famous for its black and white daymark stripe. Very striking, don’t you agree?

(Photography by Milton Heiberg)

Beaufort, North Carolina is another beautiful coastal town.  If you are looking for charm, boy does this place have loads of it!! I love the beautiful blue water and gorgeous green landscaping.

(Photo from Coastal Living)

My very favorite place in North Carolina to be inspired is Lake Chatuge.  My husband and I are blessed to have a second home on this lake. Every time I am there my design spirit seems to come in to full effect! I love spending my summers in our home here. It is such a great place for inspiration and for entertaining! I traditionally like to host a Independence Day lakeside celebration. Taking in the scenery and reflecting on time with loved ones can inspire me for months to come.

Naturally, when one is at the lake being on the water is one of the luxuries. A good friend of mine happens to be the captain of this fabulous wood boat. I have to say that a sunset cruise on this boat ranks high on my list for both inspiration and relaxation!!

I hope these coastlines and shore banks have been inspiring to you. Perhaps you are even planning a jaunt to the beach or the lake this weekend! If so, be sure to leave me a comment and let me know what travels inspire you!

~Kathryn

This entry was posted in What's Inspiring Kathryn?. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to What’s Inspiring Kathryn? North Carolina’s Coasts and Lakes

1. Franki Parde says:

Love your photos!! We, too, are fortunate to live “on a lake” and have been in the process of building (from scratch..that means cutting down trees to clear the land!) our log cabin, gazebo, garage/barn and just completed the boathouse (even doing our own pilings.) It is beautiful. When we had our Cherokee Lance we used to land at “First Flight” at Kitty Hawk. Fond memories! franki

2. Donnie says:

Kathryn, I was so delighted to find your blog today (from Stonegable). I have your book, The Collected Tabletop, and have spent hours reading it. I enjoy nothing more than setting a table for family and friends and fortunately, my husband loves to cook. He plans on using some of your recipes this summer while we are in Waynesville. We have a summer home in Waynesville and spend our winters in Florida. We live on a small lake in central Florida are we are fascinated by the wildlife that we are able to enjoy. I look forward to meeting you one day in Waynesville. We will be heading up in early June. Warm Wishes, Donnie Mills

3. maria says:

I live in a small Texas town far away from water. But I travel and entertain. Your book and blog are inspiring to me. Thank you!

4. Cindy Malchi says:

My father ad this boat when I was just a girl growing up going to Grand Lake inOKLAHOMA! So fun!

Don’t you just adore these vintage boats!

Thanks Maria, keep watching and hopefully The Collected Room will continue to inspire you!! Happy Memorial Day!

Donnie,
    It is so lovely to hear from you and learn that you have a home in Waynesville. I am so pleased that you have my book and are planning to use some of my recipes! Pop in at Kathryn Greeley Designs when you get to Waynesville, I would love to meet you! Happy Memorial Day Donnie!

Thanks Franki for all of your great comments and for keeping up with The Collected Room! Have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day!