A Tribute: My Mother, My Mentor

Recently, I shared with you the loss of my precious dog Bentley. On Thursday, I suffered another great loss, my precious Mother and best friend.  For any of you who have read my book, you know that my Mother was my greatest inspiration and most important mentor!  Her life was lived with grace, style, and so much faith.  She has truly taught me all the important things that I know.  I wanted you to see the person who so inspired me to write The Collected Tabletop and constantly supported me in my design career.

Margaret Crisp Stratton

9-12-1924       1-3-2013

From the Introduction of The Collected Tabletop:

In the 1950’s, I observed my mother and her friends entertaining in a style that fascinated me. Each had interesting china patterns and tabletop collections. This inspired me even as a young child. Memories of Mother’s bridge club parties are still fondly imprinted in my mind. When Mother’s turn came to have bridge club at our home, I was always lurking in the shadows. I can still see Mother and her friends assemble for bridge club in their marvelous 1950’s fashions and those to-die-for alligator stiletto heels, having a pre-bridge cocktail and smoking, which seemed extremely sophisticated to me at the time. I believe those observations of fashion and entertaining have greatly influenced my personal style.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to A Tribute: My Mother, My Mentor

1. Franki Parde says:

Oh, no. I am so sorry for your loss…the person you have known the longest. My ninety year old mother is not doing well. Keep the faith. franki

2. So very sorry for your loss….prayers for you..
    Robin

3. Jan @ Creative Decor says:

Kathy, I am so very sorry for your loss. No one can take the place of your Mother. I still miss mine so much. Love and Prayers, Jan

4. janey ferguson says:

Oh I ache for you. Lost my mother in January 2006 and I miss her so much. I have wonderful memories as I know you do and I treasure those as I know you will.

5. Phill Wilson says:

A lovely tribute to your lovely Mother.

6. Joan Waddell says:

Kathy – I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. She seems like a beautiful “lady” who passed on many of her wonderful traits to you! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Joan

7. Wanda Wilson says:

You mother sounds like a remarkable woman. I am so sorry for your loss. Wanda

8. Patricia says:

One of life’s hardest times is when you lose your Best Friend…Your Mother. Time tempers the loss…but not a day passes without my thanking the lord for my Mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you…

9. I am so sorry for your loss Kathryn! I hope you find the peace that surpasses all understanding.

10. diane says:

I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how old our mother is she is so missed once she is gone. Your memories are wonderful and remind me a bit of my mother’s parties and card games and the wonderful way they entertained back then. I hope you can find peace and happiness in those memories

11. Brenda DeHart Cadaret says:

Your mother was a lovely lady. My parents were friends with yours in Bryson City. My mother passed about on December 31. I don’t know if you remember me, since I am much older!! I just wanted to comment on how much my parents admired yours. My dad John was such a great friend of your dad. Please accept my condolences.
    Brenda

Brenda,
    It is so nice to hear from you. Elaine Byrd or someone at Mother’s visitation told me that Dixie had passed away. I am sorry for the loss of both of these wonderful women. My thoughts are with you and Jane and your entire family. I so fondly remember your parents and my many, many trips to your dad’s store and how fond my Daddy was of John! My prayers are with you and it truly is wonderful to hear from you.
    Kathy

Thank you Diane, the memories are so sweet!

Thanks Lisa for your continued thoughts and support.
    Kathy

Thanks you Patricia, yes, our Mothers are our very best friends!
    Kathy

Thanks you Wanda,
    Kathy

Joan,
    Thank you so much, it is such a pleasure to count you as a friend!
    Kathy

Kathy

Thank you Janey, I know that in the days ahead, much like you I will miss her every day.
    Kathy

Jan,
    Thank you so much. You are special to me and do keep me in your prayers. I will be by for a hug soon!
    Kathy

Thank you so much Franki, I will keep both you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers.
    Kathy

22. Renee says:

I will continue to think of you in the coming days as you deal with the significant loss of your precious mother. What a beautifully moving tribute you wrote to her. Grace and Peace.

23. Lisa Kornhaus says:

So sorry for the loss of your mother. Praying you will feel the great love and comfort of God during this hard time.

Thank you Lisa, I do need your prayers!

Renee,
    Thanks so much Renee, my heart is so broken. Mother and I were so close and that is a dreadful, sad emptiness left. Hope you and David had a lovely Christmas and look forward to seeing you soon.
    Kathy