Pattern of the Month: Thistle by Edinburgh Crystal

Kathryn Greeley

The highly distinctive thistle shapes of Thistle by Edinburgh Crystal are embellished with a complex geometric pattern and delicate engravings .  I consider this pattern to be among my favorites!

This classic design, which has remained largely unchanged for more than a century, displays the exceptional skill and quality for which Edinburgh Crystal was renowned.

In my new book, The Collected Tabletop, I used the Thistle pattern on my “Scottish Gamekeeper’s Dinner” table.

The Edinburgh Crystal Company was founded in 1867 and was in business until 2006.  At that time the brand was purchased by Waterford Wedgwood.

The thistle pattern was made in a variety of pieces, including wine,champagne, brandy and whisky glasses, and wine and whisky decanters.  Although no longer manufactured, many pieces are available through Replacements!

Visit my website to order your copy of The Collected Tabletop today!

The Collected Tabletop: Click Here

This entry was posted in Pattern of the Month and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Pattern of the Month: Thistle by Edinburgh Crystal

1. Hi Kathryn –
    This looks like it is going to be right up my alley – I can’t wait to get it! Thank you for sharing great ideas.
    Best, Kate

2. Millie Griswold says:

I have Edinburgh Cryastal Thistle that was given to me, but the pieces are cut but the flower is not etched on them. Are they saleable?

Millie,
    I imagine that they would be. I would suggest that you call my great friends at Replacements, Ltd. in Greensboro, NC and talk with them about these pieces. Good luck and let me know if I can be of additional help.(not that this is much help!).
    Kathryn

4. glenn says:

I have a good collection of Mint condition Edinburgh Thistle range that I am looking to sell, whisky decanter, wine decanter, whisky glasses, wine goblets etc. If anyone is interested please get in touch.

Call or email me.. glennprosser@allaboutdogs.nl or 0031653777383.

Glenn,
    Thanks, I know a couple of people who want to start a collection of Thistle know about the pieces you have and give them your contact information! It is such a lovely pattern and I enjoy my Thistle so very much!
    Kathryn

6. glenn says:

Thanks Kathryn, I still have them for sale as of July 2013. Details below again.

Call or email me.. glennprosser@allaboutdogs.nl or 0031646888860.

7. B.J. says:

Are there still pieces available?

No, I am sorry that they are not.

9. James Hughes says:

Hi I have approxiamately 50 pcs of unused thistle crystal that I want to sell do you have people enquiring on such articles.

Yes we do James. Feel free to contact my office at 828-734-6382 or info@kathryngreeleydesigns.com with an inventory and prices and we will be happy to pass that along to some clients who might be interested.

11. Hannes says:

I have a variety of thistle crystal for sale. I am staying in South Africa, what is the best way to sell these?

I am not really sure. You might contact Replacements (www.replacements.com) and see if they have any interest in it.

13. Marianne Brady says:

I would be interested in Edinburgh Crystal Thistle pattern – with or WITHOUT the etching.

Try Replacements Ltd.!