“Antique of the Week”: Champagne Stir

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley visits aiken south carolina for chapagne stir

Last week while in Aiken, SC I was fortunate to find York Cottage Antiques! I am a champagne lover myself and I am always on the lookout for antique and vintage champagne glasses or anything to do with champagne. At York Cottage, I found this delightful silver champagne stir called a moussoir. This particular one is made to wear on a pendant, as you can see from the ring at the top (photos below).  The purpose of these little “swizzle sticks” were to break the bubbles in champagne . One might wonder why one would want to break the bubbles, but it seems that Victorian ladies did so as a personal preference. Not to mention, they did this for society’s strict manners against burping or hiccups caused by the bubbles. I couldn’t resist this little bauble, but rest assured, I will not be breaking the bubbles in my champagne. However, I just might use this little piece of history to stir my gin and tonic!

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents champagne stir for antique of the week

CARTIER PINK GOLD CHAMPAGNE STIRRER Cartier, No. 14959. Made in the 1920's. Very fine and unusual 14K pink gold champagne stirrer

Have a lovely Monday, everyone!

This entry was posted in Antique of the Week, Book Signings, Entertaining, Fabulous Finds, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to “Antique of the Week”: Champagne Stir

1. Franki Parde says:

Not a “James Bond” follower, heh… 🙂 franki

I just love the festive bubbles!

3. Nicola says:

I had given one of these exact champagne stirrers for an old friend of mine many years ago and have been looking for another one. Do you know where I can find one or purchase the one you have photographed if it is for sale.

Nicola,
    I purchased that particular stir at York Cottage Antiques in Aiken, SC. I have the phone number at my office, but I am in Charleston at the moment installing a design project. If you can’t find the number, I will be glad to get the number to you when I return home on Wednesday. The owner is Lisa. Hope that is useful info.!

5. Renee Braswell says:

Is this moussior for sale and if so what is the price? Or do you know where I could find another one? Thank you, Renee Braswell

Rene,
    This moussior was a gift to me, however, it came from York Cottage Antiques in Aikeen, SC and I bet that Lisa might have several more!
    Kathy