Winter Whites…That is Snow & White West Highland Terriers!

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

I finally have been granted two “white wishes”…yesterday we had a beautiful little snow at Chestnut Cottage…five inches or so. And Sunday I learned that a new little White West Highland Terrier will be coming to live at Chestnut Cottage in April!

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

Early this morning I peeped out to find my back terrace blanketed in snow! Oh how I love the peacefulness of snow early in the morning.

And a check in my front garden found a blanket of snow there also.

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

But more exciting than the snow, is the discovery on Sunday that my new friend Marleen Burford at Mardot in Atlanta will have a precious little Westie puppy ready for me in late April! I learned about Mardot last January when I was speaking at The Cathedral Antique Show in Atlanta. After my presentation, one of the women in my audience came to me during my book signing to say she knew exactly where I should get another Westie. After much research, I learned that Marleen has wonderful, show quality Westies and is close to home. My heart still breaks for my precious Bentley, but in my heart I know it is time for another Westie at Chestnut Cottage.

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

This morning I spoke with Marleen and she was kind enough to send me a photograph of her sweet litter of four, puppies of her dog, “Charm”.

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

Charm had two girls and two boys. One of the  boys will be coming here and this morning, I have been pondering a name for my new boy. Two “sacred” names are on my heart…Bentley and Winston. You already know about “Bentley Greeley” and “Winston Anderson” was a beautiful Westie  belonged to my friend, Annette Anderson in Raleigh. Thankfully, Bentley had a long and wonderful life, but sadly, Winston’s life was cut short at six from lymphoma . So I can’t seem to bring myself to name a new puppy either of these, although, they are of course my favorite Westies names!

So…I have come up with a “short list” of names and thought I would see what you thought! Or maybe I should use Bentley or Winston …I am so conflicted! I am also thinking of these rather Scottish sounding names…

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

If you have never read the McDuff series of little books by Rosemary Wells, you must read them. The illustrations are so delightful and the expressions on McDuff’s face make my heart jump for joy!

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

So…what’s your vote for the name of the new Westie coming to Chestnut Cottage.  Or maybe you have another winning name?!?

Have a lovely day!

north carolina interior designer kathryn greeley presents westie puppy

This entry was posted in Inspired!, Uncategorized, What's Inspiring Kathryn?. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Winter Whites…That is Snow & White West Highland Terriers!

1. Dana Cannon says:

We have a Westie boy. I always thought it would be fun
    to name a pair after Huntley and Brinkley, the 2
    newscasters from the late 60s. Or Aston and Martin,
    after my favorite British marque. Enjoy your Westie!
    Can’t wait to see more pictures.

2. marlis says:

So excited about a new westie for you. How wonderful! Duncan from your list or have you considered Alistair, Barclay or Graem?

3. franki says:

Oh, my such CUTENESS!! “Furgus” jumped out to me…however, I do believe you have to “play” with that little guy to know fur sure. franki

4. Richard says:

What glorious news. What a lucky pup!! And a lucky Wells and Queenie! Actually, I believe Angus would be a great name for him. But no matter what, think of the love!

Love these names Dana! That would almost make me want two, but only one is available! Thanks so much for your response and rest assured you will be seeing many photos!
    Kathryn

Yes of course I would consider these names! I really like Alistair. I think when we see him, the right name of our growing list will stand out! Thanks for these great names!!
    Kathryn

I very much agree Franki…see if he acts like a Duncan, a Fergus or whatever! Thanks for your response!
    Kathryn

I am SO excited Richie!! (more than Wells I might add) I just had a thought…what about Tartan!!! Oh how I loved your Tartan! I think when we see him, we will know. Can’t wait to get him and for you and Billy Keith to see him!
    Q

9. Christina says:

I like all of the names, but I think I like Duncan the most

10. Luke says:

Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family! I’m sure that the right name will come along once you all meet. It’s great to have a dog in the family!

11. Cindy Weis says:

Kathryn congratulations on your new addition. I am so excited for you and Wells. I love the name McDuff, it would be perfect for the little white ball of fluff. Can’t wait to see pictures of the new baby.

12. We lost our Westie, Bailey, on Jan.23. He was only seven and had a very quick bout of brain cancer. We just got a new Yorkie-Poo about 10 days ago whose name is Baxter – a name he already had – and I end up calling him Bailey as much as Baxter! I think we are also getting a new Westie puppy the end of May and the names I have been thinking about were also many of the names you listed. I always try to think of how the name would roll off my tongue when I would be calling him to come to me. Maybe that exercise will help you! I think you will know which one feels right to you when the time comes.

That’s my favorite too! After thinking about it for a few days, that just seems to fit!

Thanks Luke!

Rest assured he will be featured here often! Thanks Cindy!

Oh yes Debbi, I have been going around the house…Come Duncan…Hurry Up McDuff, etc., etc. One might think I was going crazy or just talking to myself. As I said in the post , my friend Annette lost her six year old Westie to cancer. It is just heartbreaking and I so understand your pain. Hope you get a Westie to go with Baxter!

I agree Christina!

18. Rhoda Toulouse says:

When we brought our Westie home our kids thought he needed a manly,strong name because he was so cute! They named him after the shark in ‘Finding Nemo’………. We now have Bruce Toulouse!!! I don’t think that it sounds particularly stong and manly, but it does roll off the tongue!

Very cute Rhoda!