Guest Post With Leah!

north carolina interior designer presents white brick house

Hello, dear readers! It’s Leah Davis here… I will be taking over the blog this week while Kathy is out of town (when the cat’s away, the mice will play… in this case, just one mouse!). I hope you are all having a wonderful summer with your family and friends. I can’t believe September is almost here… I could not be more excited!! I just live for Fall weather.

With that being said, Fall coming around the corner means there is much to do. My husband, Jeffery and I just recently purchased our first home. It’s a 1974 brick ranch and we love it! It’s the perfect size and location for us. Our interior has been renovated and we are content on that front. But my next order of business is the exterior. I would LOVE to paint our brick (and also update our landscape design-but we will save that for another day!). So that’s what I need your help with today, sweet readers! I’m going to list out a few of my favorite paint colors and see what you think. I’ve been on Pinterest stalking exterior paint colors and this is what I’ve come up with. I love getting to ‘steal’ you away from Kathy this week for my own selfish reasons!! 🙂

Here is our little cottage… I’m still trying to decide on a proper name for it. Right now, let’s refer to it as the Davis Cottage. Feel free to give me your suggestions on that as well!

north carolina interior designer presents white brick house

There is one thing I am certain of… I want a white house. We already have black shutters and a black front door which we will keep. If you’ve ever tried to choose a white paint color… you will know that there are SO many options. It gets quite overwhelming, even for this Interior Designer. But I’m hoping y’all can help me narrow it down!

Davis Cottage Inspiration

north carolina interior designer presents white brick house

I just love how classic these houses look. How could you go wrong with chic black and white?!

Now that you’ve seen my inspiration photos… let’s look at some colors!

I want a very crisp, bright white. I don’t want a yellow or pink undertone. But there is a fine line between a crisp white and a stark white. I certainly want to find the right balance.

north carolina interior designer presents white brick house

Right now, I’m leaning towards Wimborne White by Farrow & Ball. It’s so bright and beautiful. All White by Farrow & Ball is also gorgeous, it may be too bright? I also love Decorators White by Benjamin Moore. This is my interior trim color and I love it! It has a small hint of gray that tones down the white just a bit. White Dove is a great color that seems pretty fail proof. It’s definitely warmer but still in the running. Lastly, Wevet by Farrow & Ball. It’s also got a warm undertone, but maybe a bit too much yellow?

I know there are a million other white paint colors but these are the ones I’m most focused on at this point.

I would love to know if any of Kathy’s fabulous readers have white houses? I’m sure Mrs. Greeley will weigh in on my paint situation as well 🙂

Thank you for letting me take over the blog today, it is always a pleasure!

north carolina interior designer presents white brick house

north carolina interior designer presents white brick house

This entry was posted in Guest Posts, Inspired!, Style Guide, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Guest Post With Leah!

1. CK Clifford says:

I’m definitely a fan of the Benjamin Moore White Dove. I don’t currently have a painted brick home, but I’ve had several in the past, including a “high white” brick home. I think that the White Dove will cause your home to appear more firmly “seated” than the others. I also think that it is more sophisticated than the other colors. Finally, I think that it will achieve a classic look while simultaneously looking very current. Just one woman’s opinion. I’m certain you’ll receive many opinions to ponder. Thanks for taking us along on your journey. Cherry Kay

2. Cindy Weis says:

such a great house, and I couldn’t agree with you more, just love a white and black combo. I would go with the All White by Farrow and Ball, great clear white not too much blue or not too much yellow. Good luck with the paining options.

Cherry,

Thank you so much for your input! I certainly want our home to be “seated”! I love that description. Thank you again for your help 🙂 I will keep you posted on what we decide!

-Leah

Hi Cindy!

Thank you for the compliment. I really do love All White as well! Such a hard choice!! I love getting others advice 🙂

Thanks again!

-Leah

5. Anna Peek Smiley says:

Wimborne White! I can see hints of purple, pink, green, and blue in the others. But, all would end up looking so dreamy! 🙂

Anna!! First of all, congratulations!! I loved all of the wedding photos I’ve seen so far, you were a gorgeous bride.

Thanks for the advice!! 🙂 I hope to see you soon sweet friend!

-Leah

7. Beware White Dove – can often have a slight green cast if u have lots of foliage around the house. I like a 50-50 mix of BM Brilliant and Linen White. FB All White is a fab clean white for interiors- may be glaring on an exterior. Also look at Historic Colors of Charleston (Sherwin Williams has the formulas) in Charleston White. Good luck!

8. Jaime says:

I use BM white dove on all of our properties as the trim color and it’s warmer without being too bright white, but I’m not gonna lie….I like the bright white the best. Clean and simple.

Hi Jean!

Thank you so much for the heads up about White Dove. It sounds like you’ve done this a time or two?! 🙂

I’ll have to investigate the Historic Colors of Charleston. I’m sure I will love them all!

Thanks again for your advice!!

-Leah

Hi Jaime!

It’s always nice to hear what others use on their exteriors. Thank you for your comment! I really do love White Dove, so we will see! I’ll keep you updated on what we select 🙂

Thanks!!

-Leah

11. Hi Kathryn,

Yes– my real expertise is exteriors. Color is a bit more challenging on a very large exterior surface in the ‘great outdoors’. The White House is actually a very off-white– “Whisper White” from Duron (acquired by Sherwin Williams)! Duron’s gorgeous Historic Colors of Charleston + Low Country Colors are now under the “custody” of Sherwin Williams. A shame they haven’t recreated a new color brochure– I have the old one. SW has the formulas (which were carefully curated with the Historic Charleston Foundation). Just completed a beautiful house on Daniel Island, SC in classic Charleston White with Charleston Green (black/green) shutters.

My wonderful Mom (hailing from Waynesville) directed me to your beautiful blog!

12. Kimberly Blankenship says:

You could possibly pick one of the creamier whites for the body of the house and then use a brighter white for accents such as trims or columns. You could still use your black door and shutters too. Just a thought. This would give it the damask effect where certain things pop even when in the same color family.

Hi Kimberly!

Thank you for your suggestion! I’ve been going back and forth regarding the color and wether or not to use a separate trim color. I agree that things would pop a bit more with 2 shades! Hopefully I can narrow down my options… eventually! 🙂

Thanks again for your comment 🙂

-Leah